Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Experiences Learned from Wikipedia

In reality, I used Wikipedia as a way to search more about information rather than posting information.

In the eyes of users, I believe that Wikipedia has given me a lot of useful information.
However, with too much information, often I do not know what to read given the time constraints.
If you only have a few minutes to look for information and to read about information, you can not really find which information is relevant to what you are looking for.  For instance, when I type the word " e-learning", there is a long listing of information. Quite honestly, sometimes I only need to read 10 sentences.  It might be better or more effective if Wikipedia proposes short form and long form.

Long form might be useful for research whereas short form can be used as quick pocket book reference.

Once I compared information on Thai Wikipedia and English Wikipedia, I found out discrepancy of information on year information. Often Thai version provides much shorter form. I believe that
it will be great idea if Wikipedia finds ways to motivate people to submit more information especially in the non-English version of Wikipedia.

I often ask myself why I do not like to update Wikipedia. The answer is that I am very scared to input the wrong data and would not be able to do undo it.Even though some people say that Wikipedia's tools are easy to use. Often I find that it is difficult to me to find Wikipedia manual on how to use/edit messages on Wikipedia. If Wikipedia makes manuals easy to read, I am positive that people will go there more to share their information.

Overall, the information on Wiki is great. Given some errors occur from time to time, Wiki is still a viable source of information.

For the education purpose of e-learning, I have included this video on how to use Wikipedia for everyone.



And, for those interested in useful information about Wikipedia, please see this powerpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment