Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Reflective Post on Other Elearning Tools

Although I am extremely tired tonight, I just found out that there will be another blog post on elearning tool due on Nov 22. So, I have to finalize my post before I forget and since I am leaving to Boston and won't come back till Dec 1, 2010, I need to do what I have to do to get my grade from Dr. Katherine. I decided not to select any specific tool because if I post something related to facebook too much, then I am afraid that Dr. Katherine will think I copied my own book published in Thailand. Skype and Google docs were my post during my first few weeks of the course. I did write on youtube post, so there is no more to write. Camtasia can be boring because it limits to certain VDO post. So, I came up with the idea tonight to frame elearning machanism for future elearning generation who might have limited budgets but would like to learn from online sources.

Here we go:

Google Books ( Books for elearning)
http://books.google.com/ 

I believe that Google Books are the great elearning source. I did not really use it much until now I started using it especially tonight Dr. June, professor of organizational behavior,  assigned us to research any topics related to OB. I chose effective leadership in crisis. To get ebooks for free at lowest cost, I decided to go tonight to google books by looking at
" crisis management", and there I found many crisis management books.
This was one of the books I found tonight.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5BZ_Jc6hJ18C&printsec=frontcover&dq=crisis+management&hl=en&ei=SbjTTPSALYrTnge-wPTfBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

What makes elearning interesting is that with google book site offer lots of ebooks there. Some of ebooks are given away for free whereas other ebooks are only displayed in certain pages.

After I look at google ebooks, now I think it is not enough for my elearning tonight so I am going to youtube now to find out by putting keyword " crisis management".
Let's see my experiment. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crisis+management&aq=f
Now I find different crisis management info on youtube. But, do I trust youtube completely? 
No way. There is sometimes false representation on youtube. It is better for us to look at credible source such as youtube documenting series of talks by Steve Jobs or someone whose credibility is high. Even that it is better to cross check because there could be false misrepresentation so to speak.

I think this is NOT enough because I have to find some ways to write blogs about elearning, so I decide to go to facebook and look for crisis management by typing keyword search. What I find out is that who is talking about crisis management on facebook and other information about crisis management on facebook. It is interesting to find friends from social network reading this topics. That's the way to get information from social networks. Isn't that beneficial to find people whose interest is the same. ( It is great so that you can ask them information on it ONLY IF THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT).
Why do you want to have social network friends if you are not interacting with them.
Ok it seems not enough. We gotta do more. Now I go to twitter just for fun right after searching on facebook. * I recalled that twitter is becoming popular search besides google search *.  The world now has started searching on words of mouth.  The world is crazy now. They trust word of mouth more than PR released directly from companies.
Now I see this twitter search under my keyword.
http://twitter.com/search#search?q=crisis%20management
There we go. We saw lots of folks talking about crisis management now while I was typing.

Nothing is enough now because my head is spinning at night to finalize this homework.
Ok, I decide to now go back to itunes university.
Here is information about itunes university. 
I have to credit my friend, Cheeptham Kumvisate, who introduced me to itunes university.
He learned by itunes university. I myself did not trust itunes university much unless I think it is the famous school with famous professors in key areas. Schools, of course, promote themselves thru this channel.
http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/whats-on.html#itb-topten.
Itunes University is run on Podcast. Itunes University is in your apple itunes application.
Now there is another thing called open university run under Itunes University. I found this open university on my own.  Open University is similar to youtube education channel except that it is on Itunes University which allows you to view class lecture in longer hours.

I now try to search  " crisis management" and I found many universities. For instance, MIT and Harvard talk about this topic. It is great to listen to professors without spending money to attend real classes. With virtual classes, it is great but I think it is not enough without google books.

In case we want to see which books are great, what we can do is to go to dig out more information on PDF file by visiting website like http://www.pdffinder.com/ to find out more about PDF.

There are some websites like limewire.com, frostwire.com,etc. Limewire is peer-to-peer mechanisms of elearning( peer-to-peer sharing / learning). Basically you can download other people's files from the network but the judge ordered to close it now.  There are constraints on the right to use information.

Going back to Open University, I can not help mentioning MIT Open Courseware, ocw.mit.edu.

They put lot of information on power points on ocw.mit.edu. You can look at MIT courseware and find vdos on Open University in Itunes University. Basically, my proposal for you is to match VDOs from google books, PDF.com, youtube, open university, information suggested by facebook, information tweeted by twitter..... you will be able to learn a lot because twitter and facebook will give you information on instant update on crisis management at the same time other tools will give you information.

After we learn those tools, guess what we have to use skype or oovoo.com to conference call with friends and classmates to ask them. You can definitely use skype and oovoo to write paper together with your teammates, and then you can go to camtasia or youtube to record your project to present to classes. So, imagine if you are distant learner, you can still present your " presentation" in virtual world which definitely helps.In addition to that, if you want to share your document/presentation with friends, you can share by using facebook group, twitter, interactive blog, slideshare.net and scrid.com

What I like to emphasize here is that I do not want to use any specific tool.
Let me sum up the process of researching, generating content, presenting and releasing content.


1) Define your " learning topic"
2) Go to amazon.com to find books in ranking 
3) Use Google Books to get free books ( and if your language is not English, then use Google Translate) Or dictionary.com. If you have iphone then use dictionary on iphone.
4) Go visiting VDO library like youtube, itunes university, open university....along the way, running search facebook and twitter....
5) Go to MIT Open Courseware to look for courses related to " Crisis Management". Better looking at syllabus
6) Go to Skype and OOVOO to do conference call with your pals/ classmates
( assume you find folks who understand crisis management. Just conduct interviews using skype) You can run group interviews on skype and oovoo, but you have to pay for it.
7) After that, when you learn " crisis management", you have to pretend that you can present in virtual world. Then, you use camtasia or podcast to present yourself. Afterwards, you need to store your document in PPT or word in slideshare.net or scribd.com
8) you release your knowledge via all social media channels....youtube, twitter, myspace, facebook, etc.

I think this is enough now. I have covered elearning tools tonight.
I think social media is great for elearning. We gotta learn from society.
Then, we got to back up by books and articles!!!.

Another way to back up source of information is to go to e-library. For instance, you can go to Pepperdine library.  http://library.pepperdine.edu/
Afterwards, if it is not enough, what I suggest you to do is to http://e-library.net/ to look for more references. And, if it is enough, go to find webboard. Get the interactive one to chat.
 http://crisismanagementforum.com/index/

If it is still enough for elearning, then form facebook fan page and group page to chat only this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment