Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reflection Post on youtube v. 2.0 * pick something to learn *

If I want to learn about any topics, I can search from youtube as it has the collection of VDOs in my expert fields. It is not always true that in every topic, there is always youtube vdo on it but since youtube is free knowledge base, it is good for you to explore with simple search.

For instance, let's say if I want to learn about " how to use google docs", what I should do is to type the word " google docs" in youtube search. Then, what I will see is a lot of information on google docs in different topics related google docs, such as google docs basic tutorials,etc. Those keywords convey that some people have posted google docs with those keywords so it is there. For example, keywords like google docs tutorial, google docs in plain English, etc. Those keywords are easily seen when you type google docs because the youtube search engine has picked it up. I do not know why but to my experiences, I think it depends on number of searches. If people have searched a lot with those keywords or people view a lot, you will see those keywords come up in youtube searchbox when you type the word " google docs".

You can also type google docs with other keywords which you did not see in search box, such as google doc iphone. You do not need to limit yourself to what you see in youtube search box. You can definitely search with new term because it is right there but because youtube tends to pop up with the keywords which people like to search often and/or which people viewed often. I do not know the real logic of search popped up but I guess what my experience of usage.

The best way to learn is to use the right keyword, such as google docs tutorial or google docs.
There are other vocabs such as " what is google docs?"  or " google docs with sharing options".
There will always be something you want to learn about google doc in different angles or use.

The best tactics is not only to search with the right keywords but also to refer to number of views.
It does not necessarily mean higher number of views means better or more effective vdos. But, there is a high chance that vdos will be quality vdos given that there are many viewers. We can also look at comments in google docs to see if there are positive comments or negative ones. Comments help rate the quality of vdos. If possible, please look at year the vdo is made. Although it does not say year straightforward, it says XXX months ago the vdo was produced; the implication of year is very important here. Earlier year may usually tell  the older version or the basic introduction. Later year might be the recent one. It is all dependent on how each of us finds ways to explore. My approach would be to find out what google docs is first. After I know what it will mean then I will try with keywords , such as " basic", " intermediate", or "advanced" etc.  Sometimes it is great if we type the word like " tutorials". In this case I tried to type intermediate but I did not see one. I only saw basic tutorials or google docs with spreadsheet. " Advanced "and "Intermediate" keywords can be used with some other learning topics but not with google docs ( after I started typing I saw nothing).But, it is always good to use "tuitorial", " introduction", " basic", " intermediate", and "advanced".

Also, remember the type google docs with s.   Another type is to see the number of minutes or length of VDOs. That helps you picture how long you will be taking your time to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment